Friday, October 31, 2008

Curt's bike trip across the Black Hills September 2008

The Mickelson Trail stretches for 109 miles through South Dakota's beautiful Black Hills. It is a former railroad that has been converted to a bicycle/hiking/skiing/horse trail. It features five tunnels (see picture below) and countless bridges and trestles.

The aspens were turning golden and the weather was just right for my end to end trip.

(Below) The trails runs alongside Rapid Creek for many miles.

Wildlife were found everywhere. Most of the trail is secluded and I saw turkey (see picture) deer, buffalo, chipmunks, and snakes.







One of the tunnels




The trail winds through an aspen grove.
One of my goals for 2008 is to spend as much time as possible outdoors. It is there that I feel closest to God and it's also where many of my best stories develop.
"The Bible is a book written to be read outdoors." -Wendell Berry

No comments: