Saturday, November 29, 2008

Walking in rural China "Bucket by Bucket"


This is one of most treasured photos. It shows a hardworking Chinese couple moving water from an irrigation ditch to the rice field behind me.

We couldn't communicate (except smiling and gesturing) but I realized the rice field needed a higher water level of several inches. The couple were "bucket by bucket" supplying the water.

Many times folks ask, "Why don't they just cut a ditch across the road and let the water drain into the field?" It's because the rice field level is higher than the ditch. Therefore, they were doing the only thing that worked. Filling bucket after bucket of water.

I wondered this: How many buckets would it take to raise the level of this several acre rice field one inch? Thousands and thousands?

Knowing the rural Chinese work ethic I saw everywhere I walked, I'm sure they-- with the help of others got it done. I bet if I'd returned at midnight, two people would have been on the bucket doing the job that needed doing.

I took away several spiritual points from this photo.
1. We cannot reach the world with the news of Jesus by ourselves. We must partner with others.

2. We change our world one bucket-- one person-- at a time.

3. Our job is to faithfully man our bucket at the station we've been placed.

In a nearby village, we hid dozens of copies of The Jesus Film in the native dialect of the couple shown. Now people in this area have heard and seen about The Living Water-- Jesus Christ, the Son of God I serve with all of my heart.

Bucket by bucket... It's a good theme to have.

No comments: